Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Dear Donors

When I walk down the street in Uganda, most times, people ask me for money. Imagine being in a large city and being approached by a bum just about every time you go anywhere. Now imagine a society where many people think you should give the money, because, after all, you have it, and that guy doesn't! This is a pretty accurate picture of poor Uganda.


I'm not saying this particular situation is wrong in an absolute sense. After all, what is right and wrong? These terms are relative, ever changing in the views of society.


This is simply the culture. In Uganda, poverty is widespread. If someone has a problem, it is customary for them to ask their friend for money. And Ugandan culture encourages fellow Ugandans to give to those in need. The problem evolves when white people enter the picture, and everyone assumes you have a lot of money. I don't.


Why do they ask for money? Because they assume we have a lot of it. Why? Because we are white. And white people usually come from rich nations. Rich nations with big houses. With big cars. With big airplanes. And flat screens. And everything else that we don't really need. Everything that a poor Ugandan thinks he wants. Thinks will make him happy. Thinks will make his life easier. And some of it will to a certain extent.


So maybe they are right, to a certain extent. We do possess relative wealth compare to our host country nationals. But last time I checked, Peace Corps volunteers aren't topping the list of America's most wealthy individuals. Most of us are pretty broke, right out of college, making less than $250 a month.


Another reason they ask for a lot of money? Because they genuinely believe we will just reach into our pockets, pull out a 50,000 shilling note, and place it in their hands. Why? Because A LOT of white people do! In fact, there is a whole business dedicated to driving around in SUVs and handing out money to poor people. You see it a lot living here.


I'm of the firm belief that all aid given in the form of money should be given with the objective of reducing and/or eliminating the need to provide future aid to that individual or nation. Basically, the goal of aid should be to stop aid. The goal of a donor organization should be to put itself out of business. I realize this is a contradiction to those wishing to remain with a purpose and/or job in this field.


And I want to carve out several caveats. I believe in relief aid. I believe in humanitarian aid. Aid given during emergencies involving the difference between human beings surviving, and human beings dying. Which transitions me to my next exemption. I believe in aid designed to keep human beings living. Such as the aid that comes in the form of anti-retroviral drugs for those living with HIV/AIDS and drugs designed to treat malaria and other deadly diseases.


What I don't believe in is gifted aid. Something that encourages nothing and has no follow up. I've seen it do so much damage to this country. It poisons the mindsets of the poor host country nationals that us volunteers live amongst. Honestly, sometimes I get the feeling that my fellow villagers resent me simply for the fact that I don't give out money. I feel as if some of them see me as a selfish muzungu. I've never had a specific incidence where this was brought up. But I've talked to several other volunteers who have had terrible experiences from this instilled sense of dependency so common in Ugandans mindset.


Dependency is destructive. It eliminates all incentive for individuals to take ownership of their own destinies and produce. It destroys work ethic. It inhibits autonomy. It creates an unsustainable cycle of give and take. One side giving all and one side taking all. It isn't the way a society can function.


How do YOU, the reader, help? Research the organizations you are giving to. What do they do exactly? How do you know for sure? How do they disperse their funds? How do they ensure accountability? What is their end goal? Can people do this themselves? Why do they need this organization?


I'm of the opinion that there is way too much money flowing into this continent. And not enough being created by the continent itself. My opinion? It should be halved. Focusing first on the exceptions I pointed out above and then on aid designed to end all aid. With milestones and checks throughout the entire process.


Somewhere along the line we as a world made a decision that it was better to prop up unstable regimes instead of allowing them to slip into chaos and despair. I guess I have to agree with this. But the end result of this philosophy isn't pretty either. That doesn't mean there is no way to win. There is. And it starts at the ground level. It starts with a change in the way we think about giving. The philosophy and principles that determine when our money is released and when it is held. Right now, we are doing a disservice to everyone. But that can change.


If you're looking for a good place to start, check out KIVA, http://www.kiva.org/. Organizations like this I feel support the end goal of what we're trying to accomplish. Be the change! Namaste.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that I believe you have a very valid opinion. And I also believe in Kiva too. I have an ad for them on my blog site.

    ReplyDelete