Friday, April 15, 2011

Why Development is So Difficult

While in Pallisa last weekend, I came across what was once the Pallisa Town Council Public Library. I'm told it was built a couple of years ago by a Peace Corps volunteer. It was stocked with plenty of books, computers, and other equipment.



Today, the library is closed. No one knows why. I asked a few people that worked around the area why it had closed. Know one came up with a reason that was either clear or sufficient enough to justify why the library was currently not operating. The closest thing resembling a decent answer was that the power system had been destroyed, but they didn't know how or why. A library can still provide many benefits even in the absence of power, so I considered this excuse to be insufficient.



This is a universal struggle with development efforts. To build something, while a great deed, is not good enough. For it to be successful, it must be able to endure and sustain itself even after it's creator long departs. It requires the community to be emotionally, physically, and preferably monetarily invested in the project to give them some incentive to see it through and maintain whatever result they gain from their investment. I'm sure this library was great when it was opened, but somewhere along the way some line was severed and that was it, the sustainability failed and you end up with a useless pile of bricks. So I may try to reopen this thing, who knows, if I can find someone who cares enough to keep it open once I'm gone. People here need books and information, I just don't understand.



1 comment:

  1. Hey there Joe,
    I have some great news. I am the Peace Corps volunteer who established the library. As you may know, sustainability is the greatest challenge. I always knew we would go through phases and challenges with the library. But as of now, the library will not only be reopened but will be enhanced. I happened to marry a Ugandan during my service and have therefore made a few trips back to Uganda after Peace Corps, and have remained marginally involved (basically as a dispute resolution agent) through email and other means. Long story short, the town council has developed a partnership with some international organizations (we actually formed the partnership when I was in Uganda 7 years ago, but the town council hadn't yet exploited it). With the help of some funding from the town council itself, and the generosity of the organization, the library is now reopened and fully functional (at least for now). I'm sure there will be challenges in the future, but hopefully it can be operational for multiple years as it was when it was founded (it operated for about 3 years before it fell apart originally). Thanks for the post. Hope all is well.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete