Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Running Through My Mind

One of my staple activities of village life is running. I say staple because it contributes so much to my life and happiness at site.


First of all, I enjoy the routine. I like getting up three to four times a week and running through my village, greeting the villagers, seeing the sun crest over the shadow of the foothills of Mt. Elgon and taking in the cool morning breeze.


I enjoy the workout. I love the way I feel when I've just finished a good run. If I still feel strong and energetic at the end of my run, it lets me know I'm in shape that day, which makes me feel good. If I feel weak and weary by the end, I know I have gotten a good workout.


I enjoy the time spent thinking. My runs lately have been ranging anywhere from 30 to 90+ minutes. This gives me a lot of time to think and process. Sometimes, I don't think at all. I simply take in the scenery and listen to the music I have loaded up on my iPod. But many times, I think about the day's activities. I come up with new ideas for activities or things to write about. I process feelings and emotions about my human relationships. I propose different approaches to the same problems I encounter here, both in my work and personal life.


In the moment though, mostly, I just enjoy the experience. I marvel at how lucky I am, really. To be here in this beautiful country doing one of my favorite things in life.


I love how the red, Ugandan soil is hard enough for running, but soft enough to help avoid running injuries. I love how cool the air feels as it blows against my body, desiccating my face and arms from sweat.


I love the bright white smiles contrasted against the dark, black faces I get from random Ugandans I pass by. I love greeting my own students as they walk to school. I love how I can tell they are my students solely by their uniforms.


I love seeing the primary students in their adorable little uniforms walk to school with their brothers and sisters, many of them holding hands or carrying books. I love how just about everyday I run, at least some of them will join me for my run, sometimes for miles at a time. It's a humbling experience to know that elementary aged kids can keep up with you for an extended duration, what can I say, these Ugandans are fit!


I love how some Ugandans just stare in confusion, wondering why you are expending energy unnecessarily, instead of doing something more tangible, practical, beneficial, like digging or washing. They have a concept of running for exercise, they just don't do it. But they don't need to either.


I love how many children will give me high fives, or should I say low fives, they're pretty short. I love how Ugandans will thank me for running. Yes, literally. "Thank you for running!"


I love how when I get far away from my home and thus stranger and stranger to the locals, people will literally just stare at me for literally minutes without breaking away and turn their heads as I pass by in a synchronized motion. I still get a kick out of this one, although sometimes it can be creepy, like zombies watching you in a graveyard.


I love, on a hot day, going up to the closest random borehole and sticking my head under the faucet as the kids pump water for me, splashing my face and drinking as much as I can without feeling like I'm going to vomit. The kids are elated with my presence and I thank them sincerely for pumping.


I love the views! From the open fields of lush savannah sprinkled with trees to the sunrises behind Mt. Elgon. Most of all though, I love thinking about how I will cherish the memory of this routine for the rest of my life.


At the end of my run, I walk a bit. I eventually retreat back to my house to find my neighbors still out digging or washing, their exercise. I stretch. And the forgotten reasons for my love and appreciation of water return to me as I quench my thirst.


I like that I have the time, flexibility, and opportunity to engage in such a meaningful exercise. I enjoy my morning strolls across the lawn on my way to school after a long run. One where I can still feel the pain in my leg muscles and know that they will ache even more after four hours of standing and teaching. I'm not a masochist, I just appreciate the routine emotion, however brief it may be.



Running with a parade of small followers

1 comment: