Saturday, November 26, 2011

End of Terms & Bridges

The term has ended for Kamuge High. Exams have been given and now just need to be marked and entered into report cards. Thus begins the great long break that exists until Term 1 starts up next year in early February. This was definitely a challenging term for me. But I can look forward to applying lessons learned towards my next and final term here in Uganda. It's crazy to think about how my time is dwindling here.


Bridges are collapsing in Pallisa District! Two bridges on two separate roads out of my village have collapsed due to the incredibly large amount of rain we've been getting. These roads are essentially constructed out of rock and dirt, so they wear away easily when lots of water comes. Locals are trying to repair them but nobody knows exactly when they will be finished.


I had a great visit with a couple (brother and sister) of students last Sunday. They wrote me a formal letter inviting me to their place on Sunday, November 20. It also stated that I was to be picked up at exactly 8:25 am. Sure enough, around 8 that morning some random man showed up at my door to pick me up. He droves us deep into the village until we arrived at this single brick building that was their church. Apparently I had also been invited to the church service that morning.


It lasted 3 hours. Some of it was really good, such as the singing and dancing. I really enjoy those traditions. Other parts were quite boring, such as the sermon. But I picked up what I could from the experience. Afterwards we all travelled to the students' home where we had a delightful meal of matoke, millet bread, rice, and chicken. The whole day took 8 hours, from 8 in the morning til 4 in the afternoon. Afterwards I was just completely exhausted, and I didn't know why. All I had done was sit, talk, and eat. I immediately had to go home and rest.


My birthday and subsequent turkey day went off successfully. I spent a few days up in Gulu with about 40 other PCVs where we had a potluck at an Ethiopian Restaurant that allowed us to use their kitchen. The event was a blast. PCVs are unlike any other group I've met and I've definitely acquired a huge appreciation for my group and the bonds that we've made over the past two years.


This weekend I'm in Kampala for the MTN Kampala Marathon. I'll be running the half tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!


Links to some new Picasa photo albums:


Sex Education

https://picasaweb.google.com/115925164564481520821/SexEd?authkey=Gv1sRgCKWRhvao19ShEQ


Trip to Kenya

https://picasaweb.google.com/115925164564481520821/Kenya?authkey=Gv1sRgCIyj2L7coN26Mg


Nile River Rafting Competition

https://picasaweb.google.com/115925164564481520821/NRERaftRace?authkey=Gv1sRgCOmrgMmK3azspgE


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment