Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Plant That Seed

It’s Tuesday, the week after the elections has gone off successfully. On Monday morning, I could detect a subtle aura of frustration and disenfranchisement amongst the teachers and administrative staff. Most of them had no trouble voting. However, they were upset at the results. The culture of political discussion is quite different here.

In America, it’s quite the taboo topic in a professional setting. However, Ugandans discuss politics pretty regularly and openly amongst each other. Many Ugandans wear t-shirts with a picture of the head of their candidate for president. I can’t imagine this happening in a professional setting in the states.

“I was very disappointed.” Mr. Otoke says after I ask him what he thought of the election results. He then continues to talk about the election and how the Members of Parliament (the U.S. equivalent of Congressmen) that he voted for did not win. And how some “shady characters” ended up winning the election.

I keep hearing stories about different voters showing up to their specific polling station only to find out that their name is not on the “list”. They are then told to go to another polling station, which is two districts away and unreachable in terms of money for transport. Many villagers cannot afford the taxi fare. And even if they can afford to reach the new polling center, their name is missing from that list, and they are referred somewhere else, and so on and so forth.

Today teachers were saying “Peaceful, yes! Free and fair, no.” I told them that international observers seemed to be happy with the results. I don’t think they bought into much of what I said. Neither do I, I have no clue. All I saw were the long lines.

So the country moves forward. This week has been busy in a different way with lots of random meetings and events. Somehow we are still scrambling to get organized for this term. We are now four weeks in. We keep getting new teachers and transfers. Teachers keep transferring out. And trying to organize these new staffing arrangements without strong administrative leadership from the school turns out to be complicated. Surprise?

There are more rounds of elections for local office tomorrow. Students kept hinting that school may not be in session for this reason. So what do I do? I go and ask the teachers if we will have school tomorrow. They don't know. Next, I go to ask the administrative staff if school will happen tomorrow. "It is likely not to happen," is the response I get. How does this happen? Haha. I ask my Head Teacher. He says no, school will continue. This was earlier in the day. I just got word 30 minutes ago that it's a public holiday. Gotta love it.

I’m happy to report that progress is being made on a school garden we took on this term. Land is being cleared for a seven-acre plot. The hope is that we can use this garden to feed the students lunch during the school year. I’m happy to see that the leadership on this project is coming completely from the school, and not me. I just planted the proverbial seed of thought into the teacher’s minds.

I started a pen pal writing program with some of my students on Monday. They are eager to begin writing to students in America. Below is a picture taken yesterday.


I Wish They Would Smile!

1 comment:

  1. Nobody knows whether a day is a holiday... haha awesome.

    Not sure if you've been able to follow US news much, but we have people coming in to work in the lab with "Solidarity with Wisconsin" shirts on. Highly politicized - so in some professional settings it's not uncommon!

    ReplyDelete