Friday, May 27, 2011

The Struggle to Stay Smart

"Sometimes I feel dumber here."


This is a quote that I occasionally hear from other volunteers in country, especially those that have been here awhile. Usually they are reflecting on how they think they have changed since joining the Peace Corps and traveling halfway across the world... to a different world.


I can relate. There are times where I feel like my brain has slowed down. When I think about it more, it makes sense. In our villages, our lives are simple. Our interactions with most people are basic and short.


It's been an important priority for me to come up with ways to stay mentally challenged at site. Teaching math and physics helps, sort of. Mostly I'm just refreshing and rehashing concepts I learned years ago in high school and undergrad. I can have detailed, in-depth conversations with one or two people in my community. That also helps. I read magazines and books that I can get my hands on and try to keep up with volunteers via email and phone. That helps too. In Peace Corps, there is a lot of time for introspection and reflection.


I sometimes feel like I'm stuck in some philosophical maze trying to navigate which path is objectively correct. You question your personal reasons and motives for doing what you are doing. That is probably a good thing though. It means we are still thinking critically about our words, decisions, and actions. However often times it offers little comfort. Just more questioning.

1 comment:

  1. I think that'd you'd be having those same thoughts if you were in America. It's your 20s. Developing who you are as a human being. Forming your ideas about life. It just means you're growing and changing and gaining wisdom. (At least that's my hope... b/c I do the same thing. :) )

    ReplyDelete